Thursday, December 29, 2011

Get in Touch With Your Bad Self Jarhead

No, this book by Anthony Swofford is not about Archie's comics buddy. That would be Jughead. Swofford is USMC budd (and a sniper at that). This book is about the "Suck" and it ain't mostly comical. (I'm only about a decade behind per usual, but finally got 'er read.) Let me warn that it's a crudie and rudie. If one can handle the language it's a goodie just like the New York Times bestseller list suggests.
I tore through this one in a few days. As I read the book, I felt that I got in touch a little bit with my dad who died when I was young. Even as a youngster though I understood that he was hard-core Marine and screwed up because of WWII and his DIs.
Swofford was too smart to be a Marine but he was too late to realize it.
Very compelling and very disturbing is his writing. It's the best that I could find as my father didn't leave me any war discussion.

Visit my website here.

No comments:

Post a Comment